Ensure that your fundraising remains safe and legal by having a read of the information below.


Raffles are a great way to raise money, especially if there are exciting prizes to be won. If you are holding a raffle during your event, here are a few things to remember:


  • Sale and draw of tickets happen on the same day/night – you’ll need a licence if tickets are sold in advance.
  • Tickets must all be the same price.
  • You must draw the winner(s) before the end of your event.
  • Tickets can only be sold to people aged 16 or over.


If you want to know more about organising a raffle or lottery, consult your local council or visit the Institute of Fundraising website at www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk.



To collect money in public places such as high streets, you might need a street collection license from your local authority.   Visit www.gov.uk/street-collection-licence for all the details.  If you intend to collect money in public places, here are a few things to remember:


  • Some councils need up to two months’ notice before issuing a licence, so plan ahead and get in touch with them as early as possible.
  • If you are planning to collect on private land (supermarkets, train station etc.) you will need permission from the landowner or manager.
  • If you are planning to organise a collection, please let the community team know, as they will be able to provide you with a letter of authority, collection buckets and charity tops.



We regret we are not able to underwrite the cost of any event, and are unable to assist with the direct organisation of your event. Therefore, ensure that your event is organised efficiently and safely. We cannot accept any responsibility for your event or anyone who participates in it.


You should complete a risk assessment before your event. A risk assessment will highlight any potential hazards or risks and then state what steps you will take to minimise those risks. The Health and Safety Executive has further information; www.hse.gov.uk


Check if you need public liability insurance. If you are hiring a venue, or holding an event at school, church, work or university, this may already be included, but be sure to check beforehand. Think about First Aid and fire safety. It’s good to have at least one trained first aider on site if there is any risk of accident or injury.