We know many of our supporters are thinking of the staff working on the front line of COVID-19, and looking for ways to support. We want to help too. That’s why we’re launching this appeal so that together, we can support our hospitals and heroic NHS staff during this undeniably challenging time.
Our NHS staff work incredibly hard to go above and beyond the call of duty every day. They are the lifeblood of our hospitals and our community, and we're in awe of their extraordinary resilience. But in the face of COVID-19, the biggest health crisis in many generations, they will be stretched beyond measure. It's time for us to show our NHS staff the support they've been showing us for 72 years.
Supporting staff has always been at the heart of our work as a charity. We've worked with wards and departments to fund a range of projects and initiatives across King's, including:
- £1.75m towards the King's Helipad, which has drastically reduced the time it takes for staff to transfer the most critically ill patients from the air ambulance to the trauma centre
- Strengthening the King's Volunteering Programme, which equips staff with the additional support of over 600 volunteers each year
- Sponsoring the King's Stars awards programme, which recognises staff for the work they do in providing exceptional care for patients
Much of this funding has come through the generosity and commitment of our supporters, who either donate or fundraise through challenge events and community activities. The cancellation of such events over the coming months is going to have a devastating impact on our income. Although this doesn't begin to equate with the hardship our staff and patients are currently up against, it's vital that we have the means to support them now more than ever.
Through the Hospital Heroes Fund, the Charity will be raising emergency funds to provide additional care, support, and wellbeing for staff during this undeniably challenging time.
In addition to the staff wellbeing hubs, which have already established at King's College Hospital and the Princess Royal for staff to take a break and decompress, Charity funding will also provide:
- Care packages including essential items such as sweet and savoury food, sanitary items, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shavers, hand moisturiser, phone chargers, and other basics
- Ongoing emotional support for staff, over and above the part time psychologist funded for staff in the Emergency Department
- Access to a cash fund for staff to help with providing transport to and from the hospital and food for staff.
We know this is a tough time for everyone, but if you could support us today it would make a world of difference. You can also leave a message of support, which we will share with our King's heroes.