King’s College Hospital
We fundraise for King’s College Hospital – and throughout its history, King’s has been always been deeply embedded in the local community.
When it first opened its doors in 1840, it was in the disused St Clements Dane workhouse, located in Portugal Street close to Lincoln’s Inn Fields in central London. The surrounding area was made up of mostly over-crowded slums which were full of poverty and disease, and the need for medical care was so great that within two years of opening its doors, the hospital was treating 1,290 patients with capacity of only 120 beds.
In 1877, surgeon Joseph Lister performed the first major surgerical operation under strict antiseptic conditions. It’s due to his contribution that King’s has now come to possess a surgical unit that is on a level with the best facilities in Europe.
Relocating to south London
In the early 1900s, the number of patients who were from the centre of London decreased significantly, whilst at the same time there was an increase in patients from Camberwell, Peckham and Brixton in south London. Due to this change in need, and following an Act of Parliament in 1904, the foundation stone was laid for the new hospital site at Denmark Hill.
King’s is also a teaching hospital, and in 1993 it formed King’s College School of Medicine and Dentistry, which trains individuals to offer the highest standard of medical and dental care.
Specialist care for patients
The hospital’s areas of specialisation include: paediatric medicine, diabetes, blood cancers and sickle cell disease. It is also a major centre for heart and brain surgery, as well as foetal medicine. Its neurology department provides specialist care for patients with movement disorders, including Parkinson’s, dystonia, and progressive supranuclear palsy.
As a Major Trauma Centre and Hyper Acute Stroke Unit for London, King’s also provides people with life-saving treatment, which is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The King’s Liver Unit is currently the best in the world.